Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Lesson's Not The Answer You Once Heard

A month to go, and things are starting to get hectic. The "Welcome CD" that I recieved has been very helpful, thus far, but I'm still trying to develop the proper phonetic-orthographic associations for Cyrillic. Learning a new alphabet is always a tricky proposition.

At least Cyrillic is a 1-1 orthography (i.e., no duplicated sounds, no redundant letters). That makes it somewhat easier. I haven't yet gotten to the actual sounds of the language, which is probably a mistake. Being able to parse before I arrive in-country will be a good thing, I suspect.

Also, going through my stuff is proving to be all sorts of fun, as I'm rediscovering miscellarious tschockes that I wasn't even aware I had. This is both a good and a bad thing, as, for instance, I've found pillows and headset/microphone, but I've also found random junk that perplexes me as to why it was moved in the first place. Such is the nature of moving, I suppose.

Ah, well. Back to work. Hopefully the little snafu for today won't preclude me getting paid. That would be most irritating.

-Alex

No comments: