Friday, April 20, 2007

The Ringmaster's Telecaster Sings On An Empty Stage

Just a quick post to let you all know I'm not dead. I've arrived in Radomir, which is a small city about 25 km south of Sofia. The host family I'm staying with seems very interesting. Their names are Pando and Eva; the former being the husband. He was a colonel in the Bulgarian military and drove tanks (he speaks a little German), and she was a teacher here in Radomir (and speaks some English). They don't use processed sugar, which is nice, and they seem to be fairly health-concious, though they both smoke. It's a bit slow going, though, since they speak very little English and my Bulgarian is sparse at best. As lessons progress, however, I'm certain that things will get easier.

It's going to be a busy few months, to say the least, but I'm looking forward to it. It's starting to sink in just how long I'll be gone; a little bit of homesickness, I suppose. The group of volunteers seems quite cool; it's a shame I won't be able to spend more time getting to know them. There are three others in this town for Pre-Service Training (PST), so I'll probably know them pretty well by the time things are all said and done.

I'm slowly uploading photos, so I'll make a massive photopost once they're all on Photobucket. In the meantime, they can be found here.

Keep yourselves safe, flipsiders.

1 comment:

Greenhouse said...

Yay! Glad to see you are "there" and to see some pictures of the countryside!