Saturday, September 29, 2007

In That Case, I'll Go Underground

Well, week 2 of teaching over and done with. I'm starting to get a feel for things, and I feel like I'm starting to hit a stride with my classes. Of course, just as this happens, things get a tad screwy.

For those of you who haven't been following Bulgarian news (i.e., probably all of you), or those of you who I haven't told (most of you), the teachers in this country are going on strike. Basically, they asked for a 100% raise (they currently get paid, on average, 25% less than the average salary in Bulgaria), and the Ministry countered with an offer of a 15% raise. Thus, we get strikes and bargaining. From what I can gather, the teachers are probably willing to settle for a 50% raise, which would put them at a little over the average monthly salary. Until then, we're having walkouts across the country.

This is where the fun starts. See, I'm not paid by the Ministry of Education. As a Peace Corps Volunteer, I'm supposed to stay apolitical. Therefore, I'm not allowed to get involved in the strike at all. This means I'm expected to be at school, ready to teach, regardless of what's going on with the other teachers. In other words, I have been informed that I have to cross a picket line.

I'm terribly excited about this, let me tell you. I mean, on the one hand, the school director and the chairwoman of the strike committee both understand my position and have told me to be at school. On the other, I'm crossing a damn picket line. Not exactly a comfortable position in which to find oneself.

On an amusing sidenote, at the staff meeting where they apparently decided that they were going to strike, a roster was passed around. As I thought it was an attendance thing, I signed it. Turns out it was a list of support for the strike.

Oops.

Fortunately, I was able to get it cleared up, with no residual problems. It certainly explains some of the odd looks I got between Tuesday and yesterday, though.

Hopefully, next week won't be too weird. I suspect I'll just end up chilling with a book and some music in my classroom, as I'm not hopeful that many (if any) students will show up. We'll just have to see.

Later, flipsiders.

No comments: